Thursday, May 19, 2011

Found

Observations:  1900 Census of Lincoln, Smith, Kansas.  Now we know which township he was in.  Ancestry has this all transcribed as well, along with the source citation, but I didn't get that part saved, I guess.  I need to go back and compare because the contrast on this is difficult to read.  Before I write the info this gives me, let me point out that the next door neighbor is a "Wickers".  Think Gezina Wiggers, Herman's mother.   It is Henry Wickers, born 1836, immigrated from Holland in 1871, two years after the Van De Riets.  He is certainly old enough to be Gezina's brother.  There are several relatives on this Census, so I will go out of order and start with Herman's household.  In fact, maybe I'll transcribe this all onto a chart, but for these notes I will mention that seven children are listed- I think Grace is missing, probably already married.  One daughter is listed as Gezina, b. 1886, which must be Aunt Hazel since I know they Americanized some of these names.  It may be interesting to find some more records on her with the name change, and it also backs up that Herman's mother's name was Gezina.   Sarah claims to have 8 children, all living.  Herman says he immigrated in 1869, has been in the country 32 years, and that he is UN naturalized.  Hmm.  He is a farmer who can read, write, and speak English.  He owns his farm by mortgage (would there be bank records somewhere?)  Farm schedule number 236.  Is that for a nonpop census?

This is just the page preceding Herman's page of the 1900 Census because it starts to list Henry Van De Riet's household.  Henry is Herman's older half brother.  I also notice the Koops family on this page, Uncle Will later marries Rosa Koops and she convinces the family to come to Montana.

This is a Census I was not really expecting but interested to see.  It is the 1920 Great Falls, Cascade, Montana Census.  The enumerator is even female.  Marie is the only child still at home, at age 21.  They are living on 1st Ave North, which would be fun to place their address and visit or find on a map.  It looks like there are a couple of boarding houses on their street.  They are renting their house.  It says Herman is naturalized and that he was naturalized in what looks like 1887 or 1889.  (Which contradicts the 1900 Census that says he is unnaturalized.)  Herman is working as ranch overseer, Sarah is not working, Marie is a milliner at a dept. store.  It is kind of humorous in that the enumerator scratched out Holland to write Dutch.  I wonder if she thought there was a difference or if Herman corrected her.--Oh, actually the Dutch is referring to the "Mother tongue".  Sarah reasserts that her parents are born in Ohio and Illinois.  There are no relatives that I notice nearby.

This is the Kansas State Census in 1885.  It is slightly easier to read some of these names than the 1900, so I may need to compare for some of the cousins.  Herman is spelled Hermann and the Van de Riet looks like Van Donut, but you can make it out from the rest of the family.  Herman is farming.  Sarah is listed as S. E., interesting I think because she likes to use both names, and sometimes just Elmira.  Another farmer is listed as living with them, teenager Curtis? Rime, who is most likely Sarah's nephew since her sister Caroline? married a Rime.  I can't get my file open to check.  H. Wickers is two properties away, he is the possible Uncle or cousin on the Wiggers side.  All of these censuses support what Aunt Bonnie said about how they lived in a big Dutch community and that it would have been part of the draw for coming to Montana as well.  This also mentions that although Lincoln is their township, Downs is their post office.

This is the 1880 Census of Lincoln, Smith, Kansas.  Henry Heitbrink shows up here, a relative, I'm guessing, to Jacob Heitbrink who married Henry VDR's sister.  Henry VDR's family is listed, also Herman and Sarah as parents of one.  Herman's little brother Harry is living with them.  Sarah has her mother's birthplace here as Ohio so I'm wondering if Herman answered the questions.  There are other Dutch families listed on this page but none that I recognize.

This is an interesting Census from not too long after the VDR's immigration.  They first settled in Amelia County, VA, and I have some other papers about that whole mess that someone sent to me...seems like it was a bit of propaganda that brought them here about how great everything was, and then it really wasn't.  They didn't stay there long.  Some interesting points are that this is the only Census I have with Gerritjan present, he died in 1875.  Also, the children from both of his wives are present but I need to check my notes to see if this shows all of them.  The kids still carry their Dutch names; later Hendrick becomes Henry, Jann becomes John, and Gerhard is Harry.  I also notice that Herman and Gerhard/Harry are listed as neither reading nor writing, although I'm sure they meant reading and writing in English here.  It also says that Gerritjan and Henry are male citizens, but unless they were naturalized right off the boat this seems unlikely.  Maybe the enumerator was going for males over 21 who could serve in the military, for example.
This is the first page of the 1895 Kansas Census that I copied.  It's configured in a confusing way because the left and right pages seem like they should be switched.  The next set of pages that continue with "Willie Vanderiet" are ordered the right way, and I don't know what happened to the answers 8-14 to these people.  Not much is learned here other than Sarah is again listed as SE, we get a confirmation that Herman came from Overysel Holland, and the post office is different now, at Lebanon, Smith, Kansas.

This is the second page of the 1895 State Census.  We are lucky to have an 1895 State Census because the 1890 Federal Census was destroyed.  So this looks like a big concentration of family members here.  it starts with Herman and Sarah's children, I'm noticing that Hazel is still going by the shortened form of Gezina--Sieny.  It makes me curious how they would have pronounced it.  Why did she choose Hazel later on?  Does the G make the H sound here?  I've also seen the name Sinnie in the other Van De Riet families, but assumed that it rhymed with Minnie.  Now I don't think so.  I don't know who the John Blankenship family is but I recognize that last name Blankenship, although I think it is from the Hale branch of the family.  Would Sarah know these people?  Were they distant cousins?  Hmm.  Then it shows Herman's older half-brother Herman and his family.   It's funny how they also have a Sieny and a Gerritjon and a Harry.  Not much variation!  Good thing these names support the pedigree I already know.  After Henry is Henry Wickers, the one I think is related to Gezina Wiggers.  This might be a huge breakthrough clue because it mentions that he is from Zutpen, Holland, not Overysel like the brothers.  I need to find some naturalization records or a death record on him.  Then, Garrit Heitbrink is certainly related to Henry's VDR's sister who I think married a Jacob Heitbrink.  Curious about his wife Hannah who is from Overysel as well.  Is she the sister?  I don't think so because she is too young. 
This is the continuation of the page of the 1895 Kansas state census that lists Herman and SE at the bottom.  It mentions that Herman spent some time in New Jersey (and a short time in Iowa that is NOT mentioned) before coming to Kansas.  I wonder if SE went back to New Jersey with him first?

Okay, here is Herman's bro John in the 1895 Kansas state Census, just a couple pages after so they lived close.  I need to check my notes to see how they compare with all these children.  Also wondering if the woman living with them is Elizabeth's sister.  I can't remember her maiden name.  Maybe just a servant or something.


State Census of Iowa, 1852, Green, Wapello, Iowa.  Hiram Hale is listed here with one male, three females, one voter, one militia.  Also listed are Thos. Hale right next door and G. Hale--Greenville Hale.  Both brothers of Hiram.

The 1885 Iowa State Census, although I neglected to capture the town.  I'll need to go back I guess.  Hiram Hale is listed here with Mary A, Caroline, Clarie A., and William F.  Mary A is noted as Can read but not write over 10 years of age.  Greenville Hale's family also listed--Hannah, Harriet, Minnie and John B. Cusley?  Not sure on first letter of that one.  The coolest thing about this census is the specific address, particularly if any of this was homestead land, then I could order the records from the NARA.  Hiram is in township 70, Range 13, Section 8, the SW 1/4.

This is an 1870 agricultural census that Hiram Hale appears on in Soap Creek, Davis, Iowa, ennumerating his crops, etc.  The value of his farm is about $800 with about $60 of farm implements, he has about 40 acres (that's not much...), he produced "Indian Corn".  He has $540 of livestock, mostly sheep and swine, and we continue on to page 2.

This Census continue's Hiram's agricultural census in 1870.  His answers are continued across the second to last row.  So it looks like he is producing wool, peas and beans, potatoes, and 100 lbs of butter (along with almost every neighbor).  Not a big farm.  I need to check his probate records to see what kind of assets he had when he died.
Here is the 1900.

No comments:

Post a Comment